Clarksville officials urged residents to communicate with city departments and offices by using online services, email, phone, mail and drive-up windows to limit social contact during the coronavirus emergency.
“The city has a powerful website and other systems that can connect our citizens to many of the common bill paying functions and ways to obtain forms they may need,” Mayor Joe Pitts said. “I strongly recommend during this public health emergency for residents to first explore how to make contact online and by phone before venturing out to one of our city offices.”
Pitts said the best way to find information about city departments is to visit cityofclarksville.com and click on the departments tab. Each department’s page offers a wealth of information, links to forms, email addresses and phone numbers to call for assistance, if needed.
If anyone must conduct business face-to-face, he or she should call or email the specific department before coming to an office. This will help with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s recommendation for social distancing, and business may be able to be completed remotely.
Some additional advice from specific departments includes:
• Gas & Water: Customers are encouraged to make bill payments by accessing WebConnect at www.clarksvillegw.com. Customers also may pay-by-phone using the utility billing line at 931-645-7400; pay by regular mail with the bill stub; or deposit payments in customer service center drop boxes at 2015 Fort Campbell Blvd. and 2215 Madison St. Gas & Water will neither turn off services on past-due accounts to the public nor will late fees or penalties be applied during the emergency.
• The Gas & Water main phone line at 931-645-7400 and the emergency after-hours number at 931-645-0116 are operational for customer service inquiries and emergency calls.
• CDE Lightband: Customers are encouraged to connect, disconnect and transfer services by phone or online. In the event of a service outage, customers should call 931-648-8151. CDE Lightband has temporarily suspended service disconnections for both electric and broadband until April 30.
• Building & Codes: The department remains open for issuing permits and collecting fees, but limits interactions and encourages phone and email contact as much as possible. Call 931-645-7426; fax 931-645-7430; or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Clarksville Fire Rescue: All 12 fire stations will remain staffed but open to the public for emergencies only. Public access to administrative offices will be limited. Call the main office at 931-645-7456 weekdays from 8 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. prior to visiting the administrative office.
Dispatchers will screen calls to help identify potential for exposure. CFR will continue to respond to all emergency calls, and in some cases will wear required personal protective equipment.
• Clarksville Police Department: Officers will be dispatched to calls that involve a violent crime or urgent response such as domestics, assaults or break-ins. Officers will contact citizens by phone for incidents that don’t require immediate officer presence, are non-violent in nature and may require a report. Effective March 18 at 4:30 p.m., Clarksville police precinct lobbies at 135 Commerce St., 1584 Vista Lane, and 211 Cunningham Lane will be closed to public access. Police reports will still be available online at email@example.com. Precincts will be available by phone at 931-648-0656 weekdays from 8 a.m. until 4 p.m.
• Finance & Revenue: The department has many online tools for bill paying and accessing tax records. Visit the department page online, call 931-645-7437; fax 931-553-2471; or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.Citizens may drop city-related payments in the U.S. Bank drop box at City Hall.
• Housing & Community Development: The office suspended taking in-office loan payments, and payments may be mailed. The office also has stopped taking new loan applications and stopped making home inspections through April 1. Call 931-648-6133 or email to email@example.com for more information.
• Parks & Recreation: Programs and events were canceled through April 11, but parks remain open. Patrons are encouraged to access the department page online, call 931-645-7476 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Clarksville Transit System: All routes continue to operate as normal with the exception of the Austin Peay pickup. The system has suspended all cash transactions on buses and at the Transit Center. The CTS administration building is closed to the public. All inquiries can be made via phone to 931-553-2430 or email at email@example.com. All bus inquiries can be made via phone at 913-553-2429. All paratransit inquiries can be made via phone at 931-553-2470.
• Purchasing: The purchasing department will be open to city personnel only. All bids should be turned to the City Hall security station. Bid openings must be conducted in public, so they will occur in the City Hall lobby or by teleconference. Call the department at 931-553-2477 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
• Public Records Requests: Citizens who wish to make city public records requests will find the request form online.